Verklaring van International Association of Genocide Scholars
[13 juni 1997]
ASSOCIATION OF GENOCIDE SCHOLARS
Department of Government
College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187-8795 USA
Roger W. Smith, President
Frank Chalk, Vice President
Jack Nusen Porter, Vice President
Steven L. Jacobs, Treasurer
The Armenian Genocide Resolution was unanimously passed at the Association of Genocide Scholars' conference in Montreal on June 13, 1997.
That this assembly of the Association of Genocide Scholars in its conference held in Montreal, June 11-13, 1997, reaffirms that the mass murder of over a million Armenians in Turkey in 1915 is a case of genocide which conforms to the statutes of the United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide. It further condemns the denial of the Armenian Genocide by the Turkish government and its official and unofficial agents and supporters.
Among the prominent scholars who supported the resolution were:
– Roger W. Smith (College of William & Mary; President of AGS)
– Israel Charny (Hebrew University, Jerusalem)
– Helen Fein (Past President AGS)
– Frank Chalk (Concordia University, Montreal)
– Ben Kiernan (Yale University)
– Anthony Oberschall (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
– Mark Levene (Warwick University, UK)
– Rhoda Howard (McMaster University, Canada)
– Michael Freeman (Essex University, UK)
– Gunnar Heinsohn (Bremen University, Germany)
The Association of Genocide scholars is an international interdisciplinary, non-partisan organization dedicated to the understanding and prevention of Genocide. The Association is an affiliate of The Institute For the Study of Genocide, New York, Dr. Helen Fein, Executive Director.